Just when I thought it was safe to pull out my skinny jeans, I run across a microwave s’mores maker that promises mess-free s’mores in mere seconds.
The promise of microwave s’mores is alluring, and I’ve certainly tried it on my own in the past, never with success. In fact, the results were downright alarming.
Have you ever microwaved a marshmallow?
They quickly expand to alarming proportions. Fun to watch? Yes. Rubbery results? Yes. Ideal for successful microwave s’mores? Definitely no.
Easy answer? The microwave s’mores maker. Or, you can try tabletop s’mores makers. Here are top-rated picks for s’mores makers that you can use anywhere, anytime.
- Creates two perfect s'mores in seconds in the microwave
- Water reservoir provides a touch of moisture to keep marshmallow moist and creamy
- Dishwasher safe, easy to clean and compact to easily store in your cabinet
- Stunning design brings elegance to any space inside or out.
- Runs clean on Isopropyl alcohol 70%-91% that you can pick up at any grocery or drug store
- Inner burn chamber can be removed to create a larger flame for outside use. Insert smaller burn chamber for smaller flame and longer burn.
- 5 pounds and features a wide base design to resist tips
- Light & compact, this set is highly portable —perfect for parties & special occasions indoors or outside
- Includes an electric range & grill cover with plug & cord, a serving tray with compartments & 4 roasting skewers/fondue-style forks
- Safer alternative to gas or wood fires and can be used inside the house, on the porch, camping and more.
How to Make S’mores in the Microwave
This is an ideal tool for making s’mores in the microwave in just seconds. At first glance, the design of this s’mores maker is a bit bizarre. With movable arms and, of all things, a water reservoir (are we to boil the marshmallow?), it could pass for a cousin of Mr. Potatohead.
However, each part serves a purpose. Remember my earlier experience microwaving marshmallows? The odd parts of this gadget are what make microwave s’mores possible, notably:
- Water Reservoir: Adds moisture during heating so the marshmallow doesn’t get rubbery
- Movable Arms: Keep marshmallows from over-expanding
How to make s’mores in the microwave using this gadget:
- Fill the water reservoir (note – need to re-fill after two uses if making several batches).
- Place the s’mores maker in the microwave (I just find this easier so things don’t slide around).
- Stack your graham crackers, chocolate slab, and marshmallow and place on each tray.
- Place the arm on the top graham cracker.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds for two (I do 20 seconds for one); note, times may vary due to microwave wattage and settings.
- Remove the s’mores maker from microwave and enjoy!
Another plus of the microwave s’mores method is the chocolate softens just enough to deliver creamy texture from the first bite. However, the microwave isn’t ideal for making “cheater s’mores” using fudge-covered graham cookies. This is a great fireside variation, but it’s super-messy in the microwave.
More Perks of the Microwave S’mores Maker
The microwave s’mores maker is diswasher-safe and has a compact design so it won’t take up a lot of room in your cupboard. Plus, if you make s’mores often or for a crowd, say for scout meetings, you can usually fit two s’mores makers in most microwaves.
While this method is certainly quick and convenient, the microwave isn’t the only way to make s’mores in the kitchen. Here are a few more options to try:
More Ways to Make S’mores in the Kitchen
- Use the stovetop: Use a long serving fork or indoor/outdoor toasting forks to toast your marshmallow over the stove burners. Fair warning, this gets messy if your marshmallow falls onto your burner. Hot surfaces and open flames are also dangerous for kids, so be careful with this method.
- Use a toaster oven: Watched closely, marshmallows toast nicely in a shallow dish in a countertop toaster oven, but transferring to your s’mores can get a bit messy.
- Try a tabletop s’mores maker: Tabletop toasting sets are similar to fondue sets and you can even find several specially designed for serving up tabletop s’mores.
That’s a Wrap
Fireside s’mores will always be my first choice, but there’s no reason to miss out on this classic treat between campouts or when it’s too hot to fire up the fire pit. The microwave s’mores maker delivers treats in seconds, with creamy soft chocolate as an added perk. Or, if you’re a purist when it comes to a perfectly toasted marshmallow, try toasting marshmallows over your stove, in a toaster oven, or try a tabletop toaster. Whatever keeps you coming back for s’more! (Sorry… had to go there.)