As a buyer for restaurant-quality
Here are my top-rated unbreakable plastic drinkware picks, plus information about each type of plastic used to make them. These lines are proven to withstand the rigors of commercial use, so they’re sure to meet the demands of a busy home.
Plastic Glasses Made from Tritan Plastic
Tritan plastic is fast displacing polycarbonate as the go-to material for unbreakable
Whether you’re shopping for unbreakable
Key facts about Tritan unbreakable
- Tritan is and always has been a BPA-free plastic.
- Tritan glasses resist cracking and breaking even under severe impact and thermal shock.
- Tritan plastic drinking glasses are dishwasher-safe.
plastic glasseslook like glass, it offers the same clarity as glass drinkware, but it’s not as scratch-resistant as glass (FYI—no plastic is).
Plastic Glasses Made from Unbreakable Polycarbonate
Like Tritan, polycarbonate
Strahl Plastic Drinkware is widely recognized as the top-rated brand in polycarbonate
Here are some of my top picks from Strahl:
In tests, polycarbonate proves more durable than Tritan plastic when it comes to scratch resistance. Because of this, polycarbonate
Key facts about polycarbonate
- Dishwasher-safe and more scratch-resistant than similar plastics.
- Ultra-tough polycarbonate plastic is used to make all sorts of durable goods like motorcycle windshields, bulletproof glass, and shatterproof eyewear lenses.
- Polycarbonate is proven over decades of use and recently celebrated its 70th birthday as a consumer-use plastic.
- Not a BPA-free plastic, unlike Tritan. Check out our post and video about BPA to learn more.
3. Shatterproof Plastic Drinkware in SAN
Plastic glasses made from an acrylic blend called SAN plastic are quite durable and reasonably priced. However, glasses made from these plastics aren’t quite as tough as those made from polycarbonate, Tritan, and polypropylene.
The major difference is that acrylic and SAN
Key facts about SAN
- SAN glasses come in many styles, including
plastic glassesthat look like glass, colorful tumblers, and decorative textures.
- SAN is extremely scratch-resistant and withstands commercial dishwasher temperatures even better than Tritan and polycarbonate.
- Glasses made from SAN and acrylic cost less than Tritan or polycarbonate drinkware.
- SAN glasses are widely used in the foodservice industry for restaurant, bar, outdoor dining, and catering use.
4. Casual Drinkware Made from Unbreakable Polypropylene
Here are some of my polypropylene plastic drinkware faves from various brands:
Key facts about polypropylene
plastic glasseshave a different feel than glass-like polycarbonate and Tritan drinkware.
- Polypropylene drinkware is softer and slightly rubbery by comparison — think Tupperware and Rubbermaid plastic storage containers.
- Glasses made from polypropylene plastic are popular for kids’ drinkware and casual looks.
5. Break-Resistant Acrylic Glasses
Many brands make eye-catching designs in acrylic, and with a little care and hand-washing, they will look great for years. Here are some top acrylic drinkware picks:
Key facts about acrylic
- Acrylic tumblers come in many styles and colors, including fun styling and decorative textures.
- Acrylic isn’t as scratch-resistant or durable and will craze in the dishwasher pretty quickly.
- Acrylics tend to be less expensive than Tritan and Polycarbonate
How I Review Unbreakable
I consider a plastic glass “unbreakable” if it doesn’t break when dropped on tile floors from table or countertop height or when knocked around in the sink or dishwasher. Essentially, these glasses are unbreakable under normal use in homes, restaurants, and bars.
However, excessive force, such as dropping from a 5th-floor balcony, is not considered normal use. Plus, it’s really dangerous to those below! I can’t promise any
That said, I must admit to testing Strahl plastic tumblers and wine glasses by dropping them from a 4th-floor balcony onto a concrete pool deck below. Impressively, all survived without cracks or chips. They did suffer a few scratches from the concrete deck, which I expected. Strahl plastic drinkware simply rocks when it comes to overall durability! But so do many others featured above.
If Strahl impresses you as much as it does me, you can find more information on this line and great deals on Strahl products in our Faves! Strahl Unbreakable Plastic Drinkware review.
That’s a Wrap
I hope this review of the top plastics used to make break-resistant and unbreakable